“With the publication of this book, ingredients for the perfect summer holiday are now complete … hugely readable.”
NO MAJOR SPOILERS
It’s a joy to discover another author who has written highly acclaimed books over the years, and having thoroughly enjoyed my first indulgence, I now have so many more to pick and choose from.
I’ll try to write a very objective and simple review.
– Brilliant story telling skills
– Simple language ; no fancy words used (a tendency I’ve seen with many authors)
– Brilliant research and description. Till now whatever police/crime novels I had read, noone had gone into such minute details about how the police force (especially Homicide) works – right from finger print matching to assigning of personnel to crime scene investigation to storage of evidence.
– Brilliant and most importantly believable characters
– Realistic. Absolutely 100%.
– Did I mention Unreal Research before?
– Perfect and believable Climax.
– I personally prefer a story to move chronologically most of the time. Felt he switched too much to the past at many crucial junctures.
– As a corollary to the previous point, it slightly slowed the pace of the novel. Not your typical edge of the seat thriller.
– Slightly predictable because this novel was more about “How?” rather than a typical thriller which focuses on the “Who and What” part.
Conclusion – An absolute must read if you enjoy reading detailed stories with a strong central theme with a plethora of colourful characters and several sub plots in the background.
PS- I’ve deliberately not mentioned anything about the plot. If you plan to read it, jump straight to the first page without reading the description written at the back cover.
Added 5th September 2017