The day before school began, teachers and librarians in Texas, USA were told to remove a huge list of books from their shelves.
As a result of previous controversial decisions, any book that had been challenged in the past is to be removed from the shelves of many school libraries and classrooms. Even those that were granted a pass by a committee.
In what is being called a “violation of constitutional rights’, the books listed have been taken out of many Texan schools.
The list includes a graphic novel adaptation of Anne Frank’s Diary, novels by Alice Sebold and Toni Morrison, and all possible versions of The Bible.
In an email sent to school principles in the district, Jennifer Price of Kellar Independent School District wrote:
“Attached is a list of all books that were challenged last year. By the end of today I need all books pulled from the library and classrooms. Please collect these books and store them in a location (book room, office, etc).
More information will be sent regarding action for these books from Destiny/Follet. (Diana Colby and Library Leads will communicate with librarians on how to complete this step).
Once this has been completed please email me a confirmation. We need to ensure this action has been taken by the end of today.
I apologise for the late request.”
- Out of Darkness by Ashley Hope Perez
- The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison
- Afterward by Jennifer Mathieu
- Moxie by Jenifer Mathieu
- All Boys Aren’t Blue by George Johnson
- We Are The ants by Shaun David Hutchinson
- Jack of Hearts (And Other Parts) by L.C. Rosen
- This One Summer by Mario Tamaki and Jillian Tamaki
- Weird Girl and What’s His Name by Meagon Brothers
- Infinity Reaper, Infinity Cycle by Adam Silvera
- More Happy Than Not by Adam Silvera
- Flamer by Mike Curato
- George by Alex Gino
- I Am Jazz by Jazz Jennings
- A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah Maas
- Last Night at the Telegraph Club by Malinda Lo
- Walter Mosley, 47 by Walter Mosley
- Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews
- The Breakaways by Cathy G. Johnson
- Go With The Flow by Karen Scheemann
- L8r, g8r by Lauren Myracle
- Gender Queer by Maia Kobabe
- The Storm in the Barn by Matt Phelan
- Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic by Alison Bechdel
- Kings and Dragonflies by Kacen Callender
- What Girls Are Made Of by Elana K. Arnold
- Girls Like Us by Gail Giles
- So You’re Being Publicly Shamed by Jon Ronson
- Milk and Honey by Rupi Kaur
- Keeping You a Secret by Julie Anne Peters
- If You Could Be Mine by Sara Farizan
- Tricks by Ellen Hopkins
- Anne Frank’s Diary (The Graphic Adaptation) by Ari Folman and David Polonsky
- The Bible (All Versions)
- Empire of the Sun by Sara J. Maas
- A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sara J. Maas
- Red Hood by Elana Arnold
- Feral Sins by Suzanne Wright
- Lucky by Alice Sebold
- A Court of Frost and Starlight by Sarah J. Maas
- A Court of Wings and Ruin by Sarah J. Maas